At Wednesday 02:55 PM 8/24/2005, Jim Davidson wrote:
- On all other Unix, I could purge all the -rpath stuff from the
build so folks are required to do the right thing with
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, ld.config, whatever on their system.

I'd cast a very strong NO vote for this.  Forcing people to always set LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a pain.  Debian users apparently choose that pain, but others didn't.

If you do plan to go ahead with this, please at least provide a way for the user to specify the rpath--even if it's just a variable that allows the user to specify arbitrary flags for the compile/link stages (which would be a nice addition anyway...currently it's necessary to piggyback on other variables that are used in the Makefile, e.g. LDRPATH and CCRPATH).

I discussed some of the thorny issues facing package developers for AOLserver 4 (which included some of these very issues) in this posting about two years ago...:

   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.aolserver/9468

...but it didn't receive any responses.  It would be great if changes were made to AOLserver 4 to make it easier to package--it's still the case that the spec file we use to generate an RPM for AOLserver 4 is an order of magnitude more complex than the one we use for AOLserver 3.x.

- John

-- AOLserver - http://www.aolserver.com/

To Remove yourself from this list, simply send an email to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> with the body of "SIGNOFF AOLSERVER" in the email message. You can leave the Subject: field of your email blank.