Yes, the new driver model in the head version is much better suited for serving static content, although we have yet to do any performance testing to actually back this up. ;-) That said, the motivation wasn't necessarily to replace Tux, and as I mentioned earlier, the server is primarily optimized for dynamic content serving.

One feature that was discussed, however, is providing a way to register async callbacks that would fire off before before the request was dispatched to the connection threads, which we've asserted are relatively "expensive" resources. One possible use case was something like the following:

1. Request received by Web server
2. Request consumed (HTTP headers parsed)
3. Callback, registration based on request path, triggered
4. Callback does some interesting work such as a server-side ad call, or other Web-Service type request 5. Once callback completes, the original request information and callback results get passed to connection thread for processing

The idea is that for I/O related async activities at least, having the events get processed in the single-threaded driver thread should be faster. Think of it as a mix of the best aspects of single- threaded event programming (driver thread), and multi-threaded programming (connection threads).

- n