as far as what lighthttpd and mathopd are doing to get better speeds,
is that they both are not multithreaded, they are just a single async
loop, serving static files.  I remember that this was an option in
Aolserver v2, but I believe it went away in v3.

Gustaf Neumann of WU-Wien patched AOLserver to do asynchronous
background delivery, and has been using the feature heavily since
2005:

  http://openacs.org/xowiki/weblog-portlet?ptag=asynchronous
  http://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=482221

Very nice. The only thing I'd change would be to have this not require Tcl, but rather to have registered file types that are automatically sent via the async method (ie mp3/zip)

So, what's involved with having the patch applied to cvs?

-john