This may be more of a Tcl question than an AOLserver one, but I'm guessing that people on this list are more likely to have run into it. So here goes.

I'm working with strings encoded in big5 and gb2312 (traditional and simplified Chinese, respectively). I'm exec'ing out to an Java program that translates from one to the other. I have found that the only way to get my data to the program intact, and get the response back intact, is to store the data in intermediate files with the fconfigure command to set the encoding. Anything else ends up mangling the data. I can't, for example, grab the return value of the command directly from the exec; if I do, it's mangled. I have to have the java program write it to a file, and then read it with the encoding set, in order to get the data intact.

As you can imagine, having to write two files per page request isn't exactly ideal, even with caching. So has anyone else done this and found a way to do it?

thanks,

janine