Dossy Shiobara wrote:

I can't, for example, grab the return value of  the command directly
from the exec;  if I do, it's mangled.

I don't think you can tell [exec] what encoding the I/O will be.
Perhaps you could/should see if there's a TIP for [exec -encoding $name
$command] already ...

There is -
TIP #259: Making 'exec' optionally binary safe
http://www.tcl.tk/cgi-bin/tct/tip/259.html

Unfortunately it has been around in draft state for a year and a half now with no apparent action and is targeted for tcl 8.6, so its a ways off.

-J