On 2007.09.05, Janine Sisk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm working with strings encoded in big5 and gb2312 (traditional and
> simplified Chinese, respectively).  I'm exec'ing out to an Java
> program that translates from one to the other.  [...]

Is that Java program doing anything else to the data?  If you're just
using Java to transcode Tcl strings, you're really hurting yourself for
no reason:

    set big5string [encoding convertto big5 $gb2312string]

    set gb2312string [encoding convertto gb2312 $big5string]

Tcl's encoding support is probably one of its strenghts as a scripting
language.

> I can't, for example, grab the return value of  the command directly
> from the exec;  if I do, it's mangled.

I don't think you can tell [exec] what encoding the I/O will be.
Perhaps you could/should see if there's a TIP for [exec -encoding $name
$command] already ...

-- Dossy

--
Dossy Shiobara              | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://dossy.org/