2010/12/21 Mikel Forcada <m...@dlsi.ua.es>

> Hi Apertiumers,
>
> Before any more patches to the dictionary format are made, a general
> agreement should be reached. Remember that we have different dialects of
> metadix and an unification would be desirable before fiddling anymore
> with dictionary formats....

I think this  unification has been tried before, but not with much success.

I propose that you reserve an hour or two during
http://www.uoc.edu/freerbmt11/ to do a last try at unification of metadix,
but if this is unsuccessfull I think it would be wiser to support
compounding than keep things stalled.

The way I see things the problem here is not that different languages choose
different ways of expressing the linguistic content.
Fran's ideas about Tajik and Dutch is a fine illustration of why this is
neccesary.
The problem is that these differences are mostly expressed in XSLT, a
language which is incomprehensible for most (i.a. for me). Take a look at
for example incubator/apertium-en-fr/alt.xsl and you will understand what I
mean.

It all boils down to that a .dix is TWO things:
A) A way of expressing linguistic content which should be relatively easily
maintainable
B) Raw input to a finite state machine processor (lt-comp)

Of course this leaves a gap. We have been closing that gap using XSLT but I
think we should start looking at other, easier to understand, ways of
expressing the gap between A and B.

Jacob

--
Jacob Nordfalk