2010/12/21 Francis Tyers <fty...@prompsit.com>

> El dt 21 de 12 de 2010 a les 10:42 +0000, en/na Francis Tyers va
> escriure:
> > Hi!

> > Btw, thinking about metadix I have some probably unpopular ideas,
> > that would preclude any standardisation. I think that maybe we should not
> > have one format, but rather many _codified_ formats depending on the
> > language(group). For example how to include a verb would be different in
> > Tajik and Dutch, because different things are important. Unnecessary
> > examples:
>
> I was also looking for this which makes interesting reading:
>
> http://www.stanford.edu/~laurik/fsmbook/clarifications/xmldowntrans.html

Page 2:

"However, I myself don't like XSLT, and I'm not alone. For one thing, it is
based on XSL, intended originally as a stylesheet language, and so has a
strong bias toward
reformatting; the underlying assumption is that the original XML text
contains the data
you want in the output, and that the problem is basically just to reformat
that data
in the output. In practice, my own XML-to-SomethingElse downtranslations
often
involve non-trivial conversions that cannot be handled in XSLT, or which are
extremely
awkward in XSLT. I find XSLT too limiting; it always seems to be preventing
exactly
what I want to do. I want the power of a real programming language like Perl
or Python
while doing downtranslation. Finally, XSLT files are themselves in an XML
format, which some people think is a great advantage. I disagree. XML is a
Good Thing, but it's possible to take any Good
Thing too far. Writing XSLT is a kind of programming, and I dislike
programming in
XML: it's verbose and not easy for human beings to read."

Exactly my words!!
Lets find an alternative to XSLT that suits our needs and build support for
that into lt-comp.

--
Jacob Nordfalk
http://javabog.dk