On 2 September 2013 15:49, Xavi Ivars <xavi.iv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/9/2 Jimmy O'Regan <jore...@gmail.com>
>>

>> > The first test
>> > sentences for the Block World Corpus are better translated by the
>> > outdated statistical translation model IBM model 1 in the direction
>> > French to Spanish. Apparently, Apertium has some problems with the
>> > imperative of  verbs and goes for the subjunctive used in negated
>> > requests (this problem persists in the omitted sentences):
>> >
>> > Original:
>> >
>> > prenez une flèche
>> > prenez un bloc
>> > prenez un cône bleu
>> >

>> Your sentences are not terminated. If they had been, you would have
>> seen the output you expected.
>>

> This is something I noticed when the first email was sent, but I didn't look
> deeper in it: it doesn't make sense than in a rule-based engine like
> Apertium "prenez" was translated sometimes as "tomad" and sometimes as
> "tomáis", when in fact one of the (key?) benefits of the rule-based systems
> is predictability on the output.

It's not hard to understand. There are no sentence boundaries, making
this one big sentence. The tagger sees something that may be an
imperative following a noun and, because that's unlikely, chooses
something else instead (as would a rule-based disambiguator with a
reasonable set of rules). Garbage in, garbage out.

--
<Sefam> Are any of the mentors around?
<jimregan> yes, they're the ones trolling you