Tino Didriksen wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Jun 2020 at 17:50, Francis Tyers <fty...@prompsit.com> wrote:
>
> > As far as I understand the objective is to be able
> > put the original surface form in the output translation as an unknown
> > token
> > instead of the lemma.

> > I think that the appropriate way to deal with this is by coming up with
> > clear plan for the linguistic eventualities. I don't see that in the
> > current
> > proposal. I have been showing Tanmai through the creation of a new MT
> > system,
> > and we have been documenting these issues as they arise. I don't think
> > it makes
> > sense to start development before they have been resolved.
> >

> Those are important issues, but they're orthogonal to how to transport
> secondary information through the pipe.

> Even at the earliest stages of the proposal, it was expanded to be
> 1) Get secondary tags through the pipe. 2) Use that ability to
> eliminate trimming. 3) Use the same ability for a myriad of other
> things, such as markup handling.

If I understand the issue correctly, it isn't clear yet that (2) as
phrased is possible.

*Is there* an answer yet to what we *want* to happen in

> such as what should happen to secondary information when tokens are
> merged/split.

?

Not about the algorithm or implementation or anything. Just, what
would we like the result to be?

> We need to implement and solve #1 first - be able to transport (and
> potentially manipulate) any amount of data that might be needed to
> solve #2 and #3 and ... #9.

I don't think it makes sense to mandate a mechanism we aren't
convinced will work...

Cheers,
Nick