I actually think apertium eng-cat may be one of the english-romanic pairs
that has received more care. Marc has worked quite a lot on it since he did
it during a GSoC, but has continued working on his it adding newly
developer modules (perceptron tagger, separable, lexical selection,
anaphora resolution,...)

I agree with Mikel that the evaluation is well made. And after having tried
the neural a few times, it will probably be hard to get there, in terms if
fluency, with Apertium. Translations with Apertium are, usually, more
"robotic".

--
Xavi Ivars
< http://xavi.ivars.me >