On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 05:06:01PM +0530, Kshitij Gupta wrote:
> I am Kshitij and I would like to work on developing a new AppArmor profile
> management tool to further strengthen the AppArmor project as my Google
> Summer of Code project. I have been using both C/C++ and Python for a while
> and hope to finish this project while learning more about open-source
> culture.
>
> The wonderful project proposed is a brain child of John Johansen and
> Christian Boltz.
>
> We believe its necessary to do rewrite of the profile management
> application from scratch to fix all the pending bugs and make it more
> maintainable.
>
> Looking forward to support and any ideas that maybe presented.

Hello Kshitij,

I don't know anything about the GSoC project or process, but it'd be
fun to have some fresh input on AppArmor and the tools. The existing
Perl-based tools feel a bit .. brittle. (At least, I'm scared of
modifying them.)

One thing we'd really like is some good tests to go with the new tools;
I have found that code that was written with the intention of testing
tends to be better code anyway, as the thought "how do I test this?"
forces a better design. (Some people prefer to take this to the extreme
and do test-driven development. I haven't tried, so I can't comment on
the effectiveness, but I'm a bit worried about the idea of "stopping
when the tests all pass". It might work fine if you've written
astonishingly comprehensive tests up front...)

Anyway, welcome, and thanks for the interest. :)