On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 05:35:03PM +0200, Christian Boltz wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 28. April 2013 schrieb Seth Arnold:
> > I don't know anything about the GSoC project or process, but it'd be
>
> Let's change that ;-)
>
> We (Kshitij, John and I) discussed several things in private mails,
> but Kshitij's proposal is public - feel free to have a look at it ;-)
>
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/kshitij8/1
>
> If you have any questions or comments on the proposal, just reply to this
> mail ;-)

Excellent, this is a big improvement in my understanding :) Thanks.

I've got a handful of concerns; I'm afraid to give them voice, because I
do not wish to blunt enthusiasm :) but this plan looks very optimistic.

I don't recommend spending much time learning Perl. The densest of our
Perl code will still be completely unintelligible regardless if you've
got one week or one month Perl experience. If you've got a year, it'd
be more approachable, but the complete lack of datastructures makes the
code readability near zero.

I'd recommend putting the profile repository at the end of the project --
I expect the other tools will take more time to work on. (You wouldn't
want to modify the current tools to do a profile repository, it just
wouldn't be fun.)

Feel free to ignore my old repository codebase. It was written for Ruby
On Rails, an ancient version, and I used standard SQL storage (which
might not be the best tool) _and_ I used the SOAP/XML-RPC bindings
because REST toolkits on clients were very poor in comparison. There's
no reason to try to revive that. :)

The repository API may be interesting to review -- if it could be
found again -- but there was nothing in the API that was especially
enlightened. (It was just a simple CRUD-style application.)

It feels like it'd be nice to have some of the simpler / basic tools done
'sooner' than the full merging mechanism -- aa-complain, aa-enforce,
aa-unconfined, etc., are all pretty handy little tools. You'll probably
want them along the way. :)

> Well, I will be the final enemy^Wtestcase *eg* - I'm quite sure you know
> how hard that can be ;-)
> --
> > "Quite low" is 1 in 4 billion. Murphy could make me believe you saw it
> > once, but not twice. You could plausibly see it in a stress test rig
> This _is_ Christian :) he has a knack for finding bugs no one else can..
> [> Crispin Cowan and Seth Arnold in apparmor-general]

Hehe, as always entertaining. :)

Thanks Kshitij, Christian, and John