Yes, I was implying that it might be less damaging to our planet if we produced food using pesticides in humid climates rather than draining rivers for arid-land agriculture. However, I really doubt if anyone has calculated the trade-offs, and it would probably be nearly impossible to do so. We are all so interconnected that it is often very difficult to predict how changes in one arena can totally upset the balances half a world away. (Besides, the world would rapidly run out of food if we abandoned all arid-land agriculture or if we abandoned all pesticides not approved for organic use!)

To illustrate the complexities of our interconnectedness: A recent article in Science magazine discussed decisions by an agency in California that decided industries should not receive carbon-related credits for using biofuels because the data collected by this agency indicated that biofuels as currently produced provide no net benefit to the environment. The problem is that the huge amounts of the US corn crop consumed for biofuel production resulted, at least initially, in rising food prices worldwide. That caused farmers in tropical and subtropical climates to remove/burn more forest land so as to convert it to farming. The loss of forest land was calculated to negate the carbon-saving benefits of biofuels. The final comment in that article was from a scientist who noted that we could produce enough crops for both biofuels and human food if everyone became a vegetarian because it takes only 1/10th as much land to support humans on vegetarian diets as on meat-based diets.

After reading that comment, I thought it would be interesting to know what would happen if North Americans were told that they could either become vegetarian and continue driving their cars/trucks, or they could give up their vehicles and driver's licenses and continue to eat meat. However, our recent discussion on organic farming has added a new twist: If everyone opted to become vegetarian so that they could continue to drive their cars, we would end up with a world-wide shortage of manure for organic farmers (despite all the BS that comes out of Washington DC!). Given this conundrum, I suppose the ecological choices would be to either become a non-organic vegetarian with a car or an omnivore (organic optional) with no car.

Saving the planet gets awfully complicated. And what is the point in eating organic foods to stay healthy (which seems to be the under-lying driver for most organic foodies) if by doing so you end up being the last healthy organism on the planet?

Dave,

There are lots of points you raise I agree with. Although I am not sure I understand the water argument and how it ties into pesticide usage. Are you suggesting it would be environmentally friendlier to grow fruit in humid climates but with more pesticide usage? Western climates do provide many other advantages, though.

--
Professor of Plant Pathology                    Office:  845-691-7231