Excellent Dave and Chris,

Now this discussion is getting somewhere.

Here in Ireland it is said that for every calorie that gets to the
consumers mouth, 9 calories of fossil fuel are used to generate that
calorie. With fossil fuels as a non-sustainable resource (due to
depleting reserves as well as pollution problems), that will have to
change.

I run a conventional orchard. It yields about 20 tons of apples per acre
per year. Rainfall here is high, so irrigation is not really necessary.
But fungicides are vital. Last year we commenced a project to measure
the life-cycle CO2 of the orchards. I had imagined that with all the
biomass the apple tree produces over its lifetime (leaves, roots, wood,
substantial yield of fruit, increase in soil organic matter content
etc.), that my orchard would take in a lot more CO2 than I use in
producing the fruits (tractor fuel, fertiliser, cold stores, shipping,
packaging, fungicides, herbicides etc.) While the project is not
finished, I can report that my orchard is just about carbon neutral, if
I leave out the shipping CO2. Not half as good as I expected. And not
many crops would fare as well as tree fruits.

However, organic apples would not fare any better here, because many of
the CO2 inputs would still apply, and yields and biomass increase would
be substantially lower.

That's why I actually think that your president's garden is a great idea
and a great example. If people can grow food outside their back door
(either organic or not), then many of the CO2 inputs are virtually
eliminated. If you use home-made compost for fertiliser in your garden
then the problem of moving organic matter with relatively low nutrient
content is also overcome.

Unfortunately, because of our economic system, growing your own is bad.
If you grow your own vegetables instead of buying, the Gross Domestic
Output of the country falls. So it's bad for the economy. On the other
hand, if your crash your car, that's good for the economy, as money must
change hands to replace or repair it. As long as we have such poor
measurement devices for our economies, and pollution is not paid for, we
will continue to fail to make any impact in these things.

To get back to the earlier point, it is my belief that organic or
similar systems can form part of the solution, especially in less
developed countries, where a well-managed organic plot using locally
produced inputs can vastly improve productivity above the current
subsistence levels, and without impoverishing the producers. In much of
the developed world, I suspect that organic is not the solution. It does
offer lessons and solutions, but for many reasons it is not feasible on
the massive scales that we have become used to operating at, not least
in horticulture because too much labour would be required.

Becoming vegetarians would help, but not in certain parts of Ireland (or
the world), where the only vegetation is grass, and as humans can't eat
grass, we only have the option of grazing animals and eating these,
which is still better than no food at all.

This could go on and on...

Con Traas

The Apple Farm

Cahir