Keep it out of your eyes and don't drink it, and you will be fine. Different forms of sulfides are also used in dandruff shampoos.

I would not take a bath in any water with dissolved inorganic pesticides, but lime sulfur, I'd put that in my jacuzzi to simulate the hot Springs.

The first statement is pretty much the general approach I'd use for any fungicide. Some are more toxic than others, and I feel our goal should be to figure out an approach to growing apples and other crops that minimizes toxicity to the environment and humans. That can best be done selecting from all available pesticides and fertilizers, rather than drawing arbitrary lines between one type of chemical and another. As Dave also points out, it is easier to do this in the West but between irrigation and trucking the overall system is not terribly sustainable. There are a number of important environmental reasons to keep food production as local as possible. Growers who attempt to grow organic apples in the Northeastern US have a tough time of it, and usually end up using a pest management program that when evaluated using some form of environmental impact assessment rates worse than an IPM approach using conventional chemicals. (see Kovach et al. 1992. A method to measure the environmental impact of pesticides. )

Organic agriculture did not start as a way to deal with pesticides and food safety, but rather as a response to the production of nitrogen fertilizer using the Bosch/Haber process, which Sir Albert Howard saw as having a long-term detrimental effect on soil fertility, He said soil nutrients should come from organic sources rather than synthesized fertilizers. There is a connection with plant diseases: Howard believed that much disease came from poorly managed soil. In the US, Rodale promoted the organic approach to agriculture with the same emphasis. It wasn't until the 1960's with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring that the organic movement’s focus expanded to include pest control and pesticides. However, the basis for determining what is healthy for the environment is still based on science and philosophy from the early 1900's.

So, organic certification programs have given farmers a set of guidelines that are only loosely based on science. While the mission of achieving agricultural sustainability is not only valid but crucial, the organic movement these days in some sectors is as much religion and cult as it is science. Following the guidelines of organic certification is not necessarily environmentally sustainable. As detailed by Vincent, some formulations of sulfur and copper are used as fungicides, and certified by the (OMRI) as acceptable in organic systems, yet both materials can be toxic to plants, soil microbes and fauna, and potentially humans.

I think to date the apple orchard that came closest to being sustainable in the Northeastern US was Ron Prokopy's. It was based around disease resistant cultivars, and used a minimal number of insecticide and fungicide sprays, about 4 or 5 total a year, chemicals that were relatively benign. Ron struggled to stay away from fungicides, but decided that he couldn't spend the time physically washing and rubbing the sooty blotch and flyspeck from his apples.

Flavor? I don't know of any objective tests. To do them, I'd have to use the word organoleptic in a grant proposal, and I refuse to do that.

Back to chemicals - one has to be careful with the words inorganic and organic. In fact, many "organic fungicides" approved by Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) are inorganic. And naturally, most chemicals that can't pass the OMRI naturalness filter are in fact organic chemicals. Ironic, isn't it? This always messes with my students. By the way, no doubt sulfide chemicals are useful in the treatment of topical dermatitis, but there are some OTC fungicides used for athlete's foot and yeast infections that are the same as or closely related to tree fruit fungicides (e.g. triazoles).

Daniel R. Cooley
Dept. of Plant, Soil & Insect Sci.
Fernald Hall 103
University of Massachusetts