Wow, a GMO Wiki-apple! This should solve the global apple industry problems.

Have a look at the outstanding achievements (or dreams) of this Joe Davis, DNA-artist on Wikipedia.

   - Putting a map of the Milky Way into the ear of a transgenic mouse.
   - /Poetica Vaginal/ - a signal sent to several nearby star systems
   fashioned from the sound of vaginal contractions.
   - Plans for channeling lightning bolts into a pulsed laser of almost
   unparalleled energy and into towering sculptures that would change
   the bolts' color and emit incredibly loud tones.
   - Experiments with how E. coli respond to jazz, and other sounds,
   with Andrew Zaretsky.

There is a picture of him in his lab coat and cool shades getting a Golden Nica award for his "bacterial radio."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Davis_%28artist%29

This Wikipedia article about him will no doubt be first in his Wiki-apple en-coding experiment. I expect Monsanto is already making plans for this revolutionary Wiki-apple .... secret antidotes for insects and fungus diseases that have been infected with contagious Wiki-knowledge.

Kobo and Kindle will be developing software for their e-readers to be able to read this Wiki-apple. Apple iPad may already have it in the works.

As for a 4,000 year old "strain" of apple. I suppose it could be possible that a few existing cultivars could have been genetically preserved for the past 4,000 years using grafting, since grafting goes back 6,000 years in the Chinese culture. Court Pendu Plat, Pomme d'Api, Calville Blanc d'hiver, Rambour and Reinette all exist today and are recorded as far back as the 1500s and 1600s, and some are "believed" to date back further to Roman times, as early as 300 BC. However, I have never heard or read of any evidence of an apple cultivar dating back 4,000 years. I would certainly enjoy learning about it.

Daryl Hunter
Keswick Ridge, NB, Canada