This is a work of art, however odd. It is not a science project. So that fact
that the fruit of knowledge of good and evil wasn't literally an apple doesn't
matter any more for this project than it does for any of the paintings of the
Garden of Eden you might see. As with those paintings, the artist is using the
fruit that is most commonly associated with the story.

I don't think anything important was left out of the article. A decade or two
ago I read a science fiction story of a guy who designed a custom virus that
inserted the text of the Koran into human blood cells (or really, into the stem
cells that made new white cells, if I remember correctly.) The story, being
science fiction, dealt with the interplay of religion and science, and some of
the social consequences of technology. But the technique described was
something not-quite-acheivable then that would clearly be achievable in future.
And I guess that future is today.

Most living creatures have large quantities of "junk" DNA that doesn't do
anything. This guy just wants to add a lot more junk that can be read as a
cipher to encode chunks of wikipedia. As someone who enjoys science fiction and
modern art, I have to confess this project tickles my fancy. Of course, even if
it works perfectly, you will have to trust the artist. There will be no way,
walking among the wikipedia grove, to tell that the trees are any different
than any other apple trees.

Ginda Fisher
apple consumer