On Feb 26, 2015, at 9:53 AM, David Doud wrote:

> Well, I have been to two social events since the GMO 'Arctic apples' have
> been in the news - and that is what people want to talk to me about - and
> pretty much only that...
>
> How are you all handling this? My personal opinions aside, I don't want to
> 'carry water' for these guys - they aren't going to let me grow them even if
> I wanted to and I don't feel inclined to spend my time and credibility
> providing them cover and fighting their marketing struggle for them -
>
> This is going to be a frequently reoccurring issue this season - I've got an
> event to go to this afternoon and I am dreading this aspect of it -
>
> David Doud
> grower, IN
> below 0*F, way behind on pruning

I am just a consumer, and don't have to sell apples. But my guess is, if you
are fielding this question at parties, that people are just asking you because
they are curious, and perceive you as an expert on the subject. If it comes up
at parties, I think you can say whatever you want -- between talking about how
wonderful the arctic apples will be, or whining about how you aren't going to
be able to get them, and then talking about the economics of apple growing, or
bemoaning the lack of regulation, or, you know, pretty much anything.

If you are asked by a potential customer, I would advise replying something
non-commital, like "those aren't available to grow, yet, so I haven't
researched it", or "none of the apples I am selling are GMO". You might want to
grow GMO apples a few years down the line, and you might not want to box
yourself into an anti-GMO stance. And of course, you don't want to waste your
time arguing in favor of a product you don't have.

Again, I'm just a consumer. But I don't think you need to engage at all with
consumers on the topic if you don't want to.

Ginda Fisher
buried in snow in eastern MA