I checked, and the problem is *not* with how Arachne handles the <pre>
tag.

The problem is with the person who put that stuff up on the page.

The <pre> tag tells a browser to preserve the spacing and everything
like that regardless of screen resolution, etc.

The <pre> tag does *NOT* [and cannot] tell a browser to "ignore the
symbol > inside <pre></pre> tags.

That is where the problem on that example lies.  The author uses the
"greater than" symbol instead of the correct &nbwhatever code.  When
Arachne reaches the > symbol it has to believe that something ended.
Since it ended, there is nothing to display.

Try rewriting the code yourself, if you know the correct &nb code for
the 'greater than' symbol ">" and see if it doesn't display the way it
should. :)

l.d.
====

--