Bernie wrote:

> Yes, of course everyone wants a www-server in
> their palmtop, I never thought of that ;-)

We were talking about palmtops AND embedded devices.
Posted by CmdrTaco on Saturday August 15, @09:51AM
from the idn't-cuuute? dept.  Jeff Gehlbach writes
"Technauts has unveiled a tiny (8"x8"x1") P100-based
personal-pan-pizza-box departmental-strength server
running home brew mail and web servers over Linux.
This thing is amazingly tiny."

> And graphical www-clients for Linux (non-X) are
> easily counted

Since the vast majority of Linux applications choose
to use X for displaying hi-res graphics, it is not
surprising that you find few non-X graphical clients.

> so IMHO there aren't that many clients for Linux.

No, this doesn't follow.  There are many, many clients
for Linux.  Some are non-graphical (and don't use X) and
some are graphical (and use X).  Take your pick.

> Otherwise we can say that all Windows programs are for
> DOS,

No, this doesn't follow.  X is not an operating system.
It's just a method of displaying hi-res graphics.  When
you run Netscape, it runs under Linux.  You don't actually
need X on that computer to run Netscape.  I sometimes run
Netscape on a non-X computer and pipe the display (via
TCP/IP) to another computer (which uses X to display it).

> Most users aren't interested in that (configuring)

But the manufacturers (of palmtops and embedded devices)
are very interested in a highly-configurable operating
system.  Linux is non-proprietary and open-source, so
it gives developers total control over the code.

> Wasn't one of the most frequent questions regarding
> Linux how to get BackSpace to perform a BackSpace
> (in the CLI) not that long ago?

This is easily configured, but it depends on whether you
have a PC keyboard, a mac keyboard, a terminal keyboard,
or something else.  Linux runs on many different kinds
of hardware, and sometimes the keybindings need a bit of
tweaking.

Cheers,
Steven

Linux for old PCs: http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~ichi