Steven wrote:

> Clarence Verge wrote:
> >
> > I mean just the stuff needed to make it run.  Equivalent
> > to your "kernal".   The DOS 5 "kernal" is 7.7k.
>
> ----------------------------------
> MSDOS.SYS        37394    11/11/91
> IO.SYS           33430    11/11/91
> ----------------------------------
> DOS 5 kernel  =  69k
> ----------------------------------

Ok,ok. Different way to define kernal I guess. The 7.7k number is what
QEMM says is loaded as a "kernal".

And the above numbers are the file sizes - NOT what gets loaded.

> > The total DOS 5 load required to make the hardware
> > accessable is 56k and that includes Emm386.sys and
> > Himem.sys and the file and buffer space.
>
> ----------------------------------
> MSDOS.SYS        37394    11/11/91
> IO.SYS           33430    11/11/91
> COMMAND.COM      47845    11/11/91
> EMM386.EXE       91742    11/11/91
> HIMEM.SYS        11616    11/11/91
> TOTAL     =     217k + file and buffer space

Again, file sizes. I wrote "load". I meant the footprint in memory.
Just explaining, not arguing. We can do it your way too. <G>

Ok. Now it's DOWNload size. We have to agree to be clear on bytes or k.

> > I'm not knocking your BasicLinux at all. Just come
> > within a factor of 3 of 56k for the bare basics
>
> Sorry, Clarence, even DOS5 isn't within a factor
> of 3 of 56k.  The size difference between DOS5
> and Linux is not as great as you think.

Let us use your 217k then. How close can you get ?
Uncompressed minimum download.

> > I just don't get it yet. <G>

-  Clarence Verge
--