Pete wrote:

> The internet is changing.

Hi Pete;
I'll agree with that. <G>

> We are seeing the end of "file grabbing".
> These JSed/SWed pages are examples of the new "active web". Websites are
> becoming *programs* which exist in the time domain, as well as the spatial
> domain (screen area).

I'll also agree with that, but that statement by itself describes the means
by which we can defeat the proliferation of undesired bloat. If site "A" can
generate the bloat, then site "B" can remove it. If the market reacts to
improve the result at the receiving end to suit the user's preferences then
there is no point in wasting the bandwidth on bloat which never gets to the
target.

There. I just gave you a marketable product. Will I get residuals ?

> With FM IR fiber-optic connections, the available bandwidth will be
> nearly unimaginable- Tens of TerraHertz per beam. So much that these
> programs will be transparent and behind the scenes.

No. Those bandwidths are never going to be achieved. Tens of gigahertz
maybe. In very localized networks like broadcasting, universities, large
businesses, small cities, aircraft carriers, large spacecraft.
Economics and practicality will cause a dramatic shift in both required
bandwidth and transmission medium reducing the pressure on development
in this area for general use.

The world is not now, and never will be, a North American city.
Less than 10% of the world's population lives here. The less developed
world isn't even wiring for telephone use. Cellular is more practical.
They certainly aren't going to run fibre either.  And what about the
portable world ? Your car, plane, boat ?

The abandoned and soon to be destroyed Iridium system may have been the
prototype of a future functioning worldwide network - but you can see that
for a truly worldwide network using a system of this type. bandwidth  will
be even more important, not less, in the near (20year) future.

For an eye-opener on where internet use is currently focussed, visit:
http://www.heavens-above.com/geodistrib.asp?

And just try to imagine the coming bandwidth congestion if thoughtless site
consumption of bandwidth continues to grow along with the recognized growth
in both world internet use and population.

> Consider where we are now compared to 15 years ago.

Yes, do that...

-  Clarence Verge
--
-  Help stamp out FATWARE.  As a start visit: http://home.arachne.cz/