Sam,
    That is essentially what I did. However, I set up a batch
file that changed to proper system files, respectively, by
removing attributes and renaming boot(system) files. Since I
was probably using a dblspace drive also, that makes it even
a more confusing procedure. As I recall I ran into difficulty
going from DOS to WIN95 system. Something would get screwed-up
and then I couldn't boot in anything from hard disk. I had to
boot from floppy and re-install DOS to get all DOS files back.
    Let me try another explanation. If you start with a HD set-up
with DOS, then install WIN95. On boot-up if you press F5(or is it
F8?) you will get a menu that allows you to boot-up in the old DOS.
However, if you then have to re-install WIN95, you will lose that
menu option and "old DOS" will be gone. WIN95 changes, or hides,
some of the old DOS utilities by renaming them and inserting some
batch files named the same IIRC. That's where I ran into trouble!
The "old DOS" installation discs are programmed to recognize only
HD setup with DOS. The installation disks for DOS would abort because
they didn't recognize WIN95.
    I have to send now, I'm out of time!

   Eric

--