> and that authentication in SMTP is only necesarry if you don't use your
> ISPs SMTP server. (otherwise the IP should be checked)
>
> CU, Ricsi

Wrong Wrong Wrong!

I use my ISPs SMTP server, I dial into my ISP's
nameserver by phoning my ISP's digital access POP phone number.

I (that is my mail client) still must send a totally separate authentication
sequence, as part of my SMTP dialogue with my ISPs server, each time
I want to send mail to a user that is not a customer of my ISP.

This is what is both good and bad about authentication, using the
AUTH command of an ESMTP server. It does not know or care that
you are accessing it from one of the ISPs modems, or that your
dynamic IP address is one owned and used by your ISP.

It lets anybody and everybody talk to the server, regardless of
what ISP or software they use to do it. But it only delivers mail to
non-local users, if you pass the ``secret code'' security check,
initiated by the AUTH command. For most of us, that means, we must
used a mail client that knows how to issue the AUTH command, and
complete the dialogue with acceptble encrypted password, etc.

The bad part is another protocol extension that is only supported
by the newer, bloat-ier, MS like, mail clients. The good part, is
I can be on vacation, and access my ISPs mail client, using my
local friend's AOL account,  and still send out mail, at no phone
cost to me.

As lo