Hi Samuel!

11 Dec 2001, "Samuel W. Heywood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 SH> I did succeed in creating an OpenLinux boot floppy and I was able
 SH> to access the CD ROM from there.  The book says I have to
 SH> partition my hard drive to prepare it for the installation of
 SH> OpenLinux by using a Windows program named Partition Magic.
It really mentions this payware product ?!?
Than it is simply a marketing scam from powerquest.

As I said, that linux requires free unpartitioned space on the HDDs, or
that you delete a partition from linux fdisk.

 SH> If I could have used a DOS or Linux program for partitioning my hard
 SH> drive then I would not have had ro have installed Windows.
I HAVE partitioned my HDDs once with caldera openlinux.
So it is possible.

So I think that you have a marketing version ...
(was it included in a computer magazine CD ?!?)

 SH> Also the program for installing the boot loader named BootMagic is a
 SH> Windows program.
You don't need either of them, with a normal sane linux installation.

 >> SH> According to the book you can install Caldera OpenLinux directly
 >> SH> from the CD-ROM only if you can boot to the CD-ROM.
 >> Than the book is simply wrong.
 >> Buy a better one.
 SH> I also was of the opinion that the book is wrong, but it was the
 SH> only book and the only Linux distribution that I happened to have
 SH> on CD-ROM.  Maybe I should buy Red Hat and start all over again.
I'm also not a big linux guru.
What does the others say ?

 >> SH> Also you have to install Windows in order to install a program
 >> SH> named BootMagic so that it will write a boot loader onto the
 >> SH> MBR.
 >> NO !!!!
 >> Linux comes with at least one bootmanager (LILO and most new distris
 >> include also GRUB)
 SH> Yes, a program named LILO was on the boot floppy that I created,
 SH> but the book doesn't say how you can copy LILO into the MBR of
 SH> your hard drive and use it as a boot loader for selecting an OS.
the install procedure takes care of that !

 SH> The problem now is how to get rid of all the wincrap
 SH> that I no longer need or want.
run win95s deltree on things you don't want.
than simply run scandisk from win95.
This software knows about LFNs, if it finds old orphaned LFN entry it
simply deletes it.

 SH> It appears that the book assumes that the user of OpenLinux would want
 SH> to be set up with a choice of booting either Windows or OpenLinux.
please forget the "book"

 SH> I want to have a choice of booting either DR-DOS or OpenLinux.  Since
 SH> Caldera produces DR-DOS one would think that the book should guide the
 SH> user into setting up his system for this choice.
Why do most people want dualboot ?!?
Work in Linux, play modern games in windows.

If they focused on dr-dos, they would never sell their books.

 SH> I would have tried that but I didn't have a copy of DELTREE.BAT
 SH> available at the location.
its not a .bat in MS-DOS

 SH> No need for LFNs.  You can easily describe the contents of your
 SH> conventionally named 8.3 files by using the well known DOS
 SH> utility DIRNOTES.COM by Michael J. Mefford
Why would somebody use such a tool, in order to hide a HUGE inability of
his operating system ?!?

 >> SH> Windows 3.1 was compatible with DOS and it didn't use LFNs.
 >> so is win95.
 >> as long as you don't use hdd low level utilities, you should not
 >> bother. win95 provides correct short filenames for eveery LFN.
 SH> Yes, I know, but why won't WIN95 DOS delete them?
I have deleted them with it

I just have tried it again: in win:
md "c:\test test test"
cd "test test test"
md "test2 test test"
cd "test2 test test"
edit "test3 test test..txt" -> enter 123 -> save

restart -> f8 -> dos:
deltree c:\testte~1

=== Begin file ===
Verzeichnis "TESTTE~1" und alle Unterverzeichnisse löschen? [jn] j
TESTTE~1 wird gelöscht...
===  End file  ===

delete dir ? y/n -> enter y
deleting teste~1

after that it has vanished with all LFNs.

 SH> Sam Heywood

CU, Ricsi