On Sat, 25 May 2002, Ron Clarke wrote:

> > Not everyone has an MP3 player either.  ;-)
>
>     er ...  yes, there is that.  :)
>
> But I think there are more MP3 players than OGG players to choose from.

  Sure, there's plenty of abandonware that supported MP3,
and ogg has only become widespread in the last 18 months or
so.  (Let's see... that's about 20 in computer years, isn't
it? ;-)

>      That still sounds like an experiment worth following up. Even if
> just for my own music.

  Another one I did was to record a .wav at 16Khz.  Encode
to MP3 and to ogg at ~30Kbps rate (attempting to achieve the
highest quality that could be streamed over a 28.8k modem).
  At those parameters, the *.ogg was indistinguishable from
its parent *.wav while the *.mp3 sounded like a cell phone
just about to go out of range.
  That might have just been the mp3 encoder I used...
Perhaps it wasn't designed to encode anything at that low of
a bitrate.

  I've since deleted the *.mp3, but I still have the *.ogg,
dated Jan 26  2001.  I suspect that ogg encoding has
probably been further refined since.
This link will be served as Content-Type: audio/ogg
http://wizard.dyndns.org/never_spain_r.ogg

>     On principle, this is the way I feel. But when trying to reach as
> wide an audience as possible, I will continue to offer MP3s of my music
> for download (as an enhancement to my MIDI site).

  You must have the links to the mp3s fairly well hidden.
;-)
  I did find your midis and listen to some of those though.

/tmp]$ ls *mid
bushwalk.mid  cares.mid  cider.mid  freckle.mid
latenite.mid  mboots.mid

$ for i in *.mid
> do
> file $i
> playmidi $i
> echo ""
> done

  Out of that lot, cider.mid is the one I like best, though
it did seem to end rather more abruptly than some of the
others.

  At any rate, knowing that a midi file can sound different
from computer to computer, I wonder if you've considered
tracking them in *.mod format to insure people hear them the
way you intend.

  For instance, first little midi I composed on a Linux
machine sounded fine there... but I played it on a Windows
machine.  Argghh!  My low-key linux percussion (snare) was
much more pervasive, plus it didn't really sound like a
snare at all.
  I enjoy your midis, but I have to wonder if I'm hearing
anything at all like what you hear.

>     It seems I am a casual criminal.      :)

  Exactly the reason we should boycott *mp3!  We certainly
don't want to contribute to the erosion of your moral
fortitude! ;-)

--
Steve Ackman
http://twoloonscoffee.com       (Need green beans?)