Glenn McCorkle wrote:

> >>      Because not everyone has an OGG player,
>
> > Not everyone has an MP3 player either.  ;-)
>
> >> and because MP3 is a touch  smaller file size than OGG.
>
> > The one time I did side-by-side comparisons between
> > a wav file encoded to both MP3 and ogg, the ogg format
> > came out the winner.
>
> > Encode the wav file to achieve equal file sizes in ogg
> > and MP3, and the ogg file sounds better.  I suppose I should
> > qualify that to say that the ogg sounds more "analog."
> > Anyway... that's how it worked on the TWO *wav files I
> > experimented with.  Obviously, not enough to draw any
> > general conclusions, especially since both recordings were
> > so similar... both containing a guitar and a voice.
>
> > On top of the practical reasons though, is the fact
> > that MP3 is proprietary while ogg is open.  I *believe*
> > that by making an MP3 recording (without paying the
> > licensing fee), you are infringing on the MP3 patent.
>
> > With ogg, you don't even have to give such nonsense
> > a second thought.
>
> I have just run my own test of OGG vs MP3
>
> Track #2 of the new Celine Dion CD grabbed to WAV file with DAC.EXE
>
> CDNDHC02.WAV 44554000 5-25-02  9:55p - 44khz 16bit stereo 4:12 play time
> CDNDHC02.OGG 10121304 5-25-02 10:13p - 350kbit/sec 14:12 encoding time
> CDNDHC02.MP3 10103119 5-25-02 10:49p - 320kbit/sec 19:30 encoding time
>
> The MP3 is very slightly smaller.
> But.... the MP3 is at 320kbit/sec while the OGG is at 350kbit/sec
>
> In addition,
> The OGG file took only about a lot less time to encode.
> And....
> Audiocv.exe places comments into the OGG right on the command line.
>
> Command lines used:
> audiocv.exe -br 350 -ta celine_dion -tt right_in_front_of_me
>  cdndhc02.wav cdndhc02.ogg
> (line broken for this eMail)
>
> bladeenc.exe -br 320 cdndhc02.wav cdndhc02.mp3
> (this is Blade encoder v0.925)
>
> IMHO,
> OGG wins.
> [snip]--
>  Glenn

Remember that quality and size will vary depending on which mp3 encoder you
use. See:
http://www.arstechnica.com/wankerdesk/1q00/mp3/mp3-1.html for a nice
comparison of four popular mp3 encoders.

Of immeasurable assistance is: http://mp3.radified.com/. The audio codec
comparison (http://mp3.radified.com/audio_codec_comparison.htm) and the
Alternative lossy encoders ( http://mp3.radified.com/mp3.htm) pages are
recommended.

Also, has anyone here tried lossless encoding formats such as FLAC
(http://flac.sourceforge.net/), Monkey's Audio
(http://www.monkeysaudio.com/), RKAU (
http://rksoft.virtualave.net/rkau.html), etc.? See
http://www.firstpr.com.au/audiocomp/lossless/ for a good start in the
lossless aural sphere...

david

--
"Often the hands will solve a mystery that the intellect has
struggled with in vain."

    -- Carl G. Jung