Ron Clarke wrote:

>Hi Folks, David,
>
>On Mon, 27 May 2002 01:07:08 -0500, david <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Remember that quality and size will vary depending on which mp3 encoder you
>>use. See:
>>http://www.arstechnica.com/wankerdesk/1q00/mp3/mp3-1.html for a nice
>>comparison of four popular mp3 encoders.
>>

>   Most interesting.  Thanks for that.  :)
>
>>Of immeasurable assistance is: http://mp3.radified.com/. The audio codec
>>comparison (http://mp3.radified.com/audio_codec_comparison.htm) and the
>>Alternative lossy encoders ( http://mp3.radified.com/mp3.htm) pages are
>>recommended.
>>

>   Again, thank you.  :)
>
>>Also, has anyone here tried lossless encoding formats such as FLAC
>>(http://flac.sourceforge.net/), Monkey's Audio
>>(http://www.monkeysaudio.com/), RKAU (
>>http://rksoft.virtualave.net/rkau.html), etc.? See
>>http://www.firstpr.com.au/audiocomp/lossless/ for a good start in the
>>lossless aural sphere...
>>

>    I haven't checked these last ones, but is this something that has
>DOS software available ?  Or is it Windows and high-end Linux only ?
>
>Regards,
>        Ron

Hello list, Ron,

MS-DOS versions are available for the following lossless encoders:
shorten (http://etree.org/shncom.html)
RKAU (http://rksoft.virtualave.net/rkau.html)
WavArc (http://www.firstpr.com.au/audiocomp/lossless/wavarc/)
WavPack (http://www.wavpack.com/)

No DOS software that I know of for FLAC, Monkey's Audio, WaveZip, LPAC,
etc.. Hope this reaches everyone enjoying their weekend. For those in
England, congrats on the football match. :)

david

--
"The longer I live the more beautiful life becomes."

    -- Frank Lloyd Wright