On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Roger Turk wrote:

> Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 09:25:28 -0500
> From: Roger Turk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: Majordomo results
>
> For some reason, skywalker is sending his mail directly to list members, not
> thru the Arachne listserver.  The headers that I get from skywalker show:
>
> . > From: "skywalker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> . > To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> . > Subject: Re: Majordomo results
> . > Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 09:26:07 +1300
>
> Normally, the headers that I get will show:
>
> . > From: "Sam Ewalt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> . > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> . > CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> . > Subject: Re: Majordomo results

Although the examples were not so relevant, I got the picture by
studying the headers in question.

Mails sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  are simply forwarded to the list
members, preserving the return-path field pointing to  the original
sender. You can trace the whole route of the original message.

Mails sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED] are first copied somehow, and a copy
originating from the arachne server is sent to the list members by a
certain "smmp" program or module.  The return-path points to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] this time. This should not be an alias of the
list, because in that case the bounced messages should loop like you told
us below

> Recently, a server for another listservice that I subscribe to went berserk.
> Bounced messages were resent to the list and the messages that were bounced
> were bounced once again and resent again and again.  The owner of the list
> was in Berkeley, California, and the server was in Texas.  They finally had
> to pull the plug on the server to get it to quit.
>
> Roger Turk
> Tucson, Arizona

Best regards
Cristian Burneci