On 2014-05-12 15:47, Magnus Therning wrote:
[--snip--]
> The same goes for me.  Occasionally I revert to installing a package
> for the local user only, but not even then do I use `cabal install` to
> do that, I prefer running `./Setup.hs configure,build,install` myself.
>
> I do mean to look into using `cabal` myself at some point, because I
> keep on hearing good things about it.  So far every time I've tried it
> I've run into something weird, most recently it was trying to install
> an older version of a lib than was needed, and I already had the newer
> version installed on my system too.  A lot of terrifyingly clever
> people swear by it though, so there has to be something I'm missing
> out on!

Gah! Just try it!

All I needed to install build-wrapper (which I think was the inital
"problem" package in this thread) was to do

$ mkdir somewhere/buildwrapper
$ cd somewhere/buildwrapper
$ cabal sandbox init
$ cabal install buildwrapper

Add "somewhere/buildwrapper" to $PATH. Bonus points for using "stow" or
similar.

The key point in the above recipe is to *NOT* have all kinds of
libraries installed system-wide (aka. via pacman). It usually works
better that way.

Disclaimer: I haven't actually used buildwrapper personally, but one
assumes that it just acts as an executable and doesn't install things
into its own environment or other weird things.

Regards,