Roman Kyrylych wrote:
> 2007/1/18, Michel Di Croci <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> That's too bad! Really, I preferred my way since I have real partition on it
>> (can be viewed from my main computer).  And I don't like the idea that in
>> the long term, I would have to recreate and rewrite all the config all over
>> again on the larch system since there is no way to load "configs" at least,
>> that I'm aware of.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'configs' here!

>> The update can't be done on the usb key since it might come and take all the
>> RAMs available and that you get "no more space" on the device so you cannot
>> keep you system up to date easily. Also, I forgot to unmount something on
>> larch and the usbkey start to be filled ... with things from the mounting
>> device I reached no more space pretty fast. Maybe I'm not too good with it
>> ;)
>>
>> But I know it's a good system!
>
> unionfs + ramdisk + merging changes to USB on shutdown looks reasonable for
> me.

Yes, this is quite straightforward for some things (e.g. configuration
files and user data), but I think Michel is probably right about it not
being so easy to keep the software updated. Although it would be
possible in theory to merge changes back into the squashfs, this
requires a lot of space and time for large files.