On 1/18/07, Roman Kyrylych <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

2007/1/18, Roman Kyrylych <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > > unionfs + ramdisk + merging changes to USB on shutdown looks
reasonable for me.

> > Yes, this is quite straightforward for some things (e.g. configuration
> > files and user data), but I think Michel is probably right about it
not
> > being so easy to keep the software updated. Although it would be
> > possible in theory to merge changes back into the squashfs, this
> > requires a lot of space and time for large files.
>
> Well, it depends how big USB flash drive use has.
> I bought 1GB drive (Pretec Tiny Metallic) about a year (or more) ago
> for 79$. Now 4GB costs 70$.
> On large drives there's no need for squashfs. And software updates
> will be OK, just don't forget to do pacman -Scc after each update.

There's still a RAM issue when downloading and unpacking packages.
One of solutions that will lessen the problem is to sync ramdisk to
flash filesystem right after doing -Syu and reload ramdisk then -
updated files won't take ramdisk anymore and work can be continued
(with enought space in RAM) without reboot.
Just an idea,

I like this idea.

Except if you have 2GB of RAM and ...

I will recreate a larch usb key so. I really understand that it's better and
less difficult for the USB Key

I search for that on the internet and found that:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-01/msg00897.html so
you're right...

Thanks a lot for the tips

Michel