Dirk Kredler wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I had a few problems with "pacman -Syu" in the last time:
>
> - on a small Server after a "pacman -Syu" the Server dosent  boot up anymore
> (Kernel failure with sw-raid(?)):
> downgraded
>
> - on another  Server with ISDN (Fritz Card) the ISDN Services (isdnlog,
> capisuite with fax and answering machine) dosent work anymore:
> downgraded
>
> - on a Thinkpad T43p (ATI Video Card) after a "pacman -Syu" the X-Server
> dosent work anymore:
> downgraded
>
> - on a Sony VAIO Laptop after a "pacman -Syu" the X-Server dosent work
> anymore: giving up, enough is enough.

If you could give us the specifics of these problems, then maybe we can
solve them. Archlinux (usually :-() just packages software from
upstream, so if there's a problem with that, it's coming from upstream.

> What i am trying to say is: i am more and more scared about "pacman -Syu"

A song that was sung on some LBW, has lyrics that say you should run an
application that scares you everyday. I live by that rule.

> Should i leave the continous update process and stay with a release for a
> long
> time, breaking the rolling realease paradigm? Somebody mentioned,
> that "pacman -Syu" is even more dangerous, if it dosent run at least once a
> week.

I've upgraded servers that have been running for months without an -Syu,
never had problems with that. You have to be very aware of what's going
on in the repositories.

> But what about security updates?

Although we used to have an Archlinux security taskforce, I haven't seen
any updates from that taskforce. Anybody know what the status is?

If a security issues arises and the respective package hasn't been
updated in the repositories, you can usually just bump the version
number yourself and makepkg.

> And how can i know, that the next update of a packet i need works?

Testing it on a non-production box helps ;-)

> I love ArchLinux because of it's simplicity AND the rolling release system -
> switched here ALL machines to ArchLinux, but
> now i am a little bit frustrated, because all the broken updates happend the
> last few weeks.

The clue is to actively follow development. The reason I can upgrade
servers from months ago is because I know what has changed and how it
will effect the current situation. I waste countless hours reading
changelogs.

I have an archlinux server that's been running for more than three years
and I've never had to drive to the datacenter to fix it because it was
broken by software upgrades.

> So heres is my decision:
> -  no "pacman -Syu" will ever happen again, instead i do "pacman -Su"
> and "pacman -U <pkg>" for choosen packages and immeadiate test, to check
> that the update was OK.

Then Archlinux is not the distribution for you.

> But that is far more work than just running "pacman -Syu", so heres is my
> question:
> - Are there any plans to provide only security updates with a proven quality?

No.