Dear Arches'trians!

Thomas Engel already pointed out some aspects of our intention with
Arches earlier in this group (complemented by Tobias Kohr's request).
I'll take Annabels request to give a little more insight and details on
our plans here at the i3mainz [1].
As a member of a larger research group our task is to integrate
archaeological and (palaeo-)environmental data in a web-based portal to
assist ongoing research projects with a common pool of data.
Now, as most of current archaeological research projects, we are not
facing problems of big data etc. but rather "long"[2] or a bunch of
"short/small" data, i.e. several valuable datasets from different
research projects all concerned with Neolithic sites in West and
South-West Germany. These datasets have a long and sometimes complicated
history, some of them are rather small but fill a gap and thus are as
meaningful as the "larger" ones.
The focus of the research is not confined to the Neolithic in the long
run. Having some experience in implementing WebGIS-Portals for special
purposes, we quickly realized, that putting up 1dimensional data tables
with attached geometry is not suitable for the integration of the
archaeological "knowledge" hidden in the datasets. Alongside Arches we
evaluated different frameworks for this wider and more integrative
approach and finally favoured Arches, although it's, from what we
understand, not really designed for hosting details of e.g. artefacts
found at a specific site.
Currently we try to tailor the Arches-Framework to modify resource types
and concepts to allow for representing the peculiarities of our data.
A long paper on the methods and results of the evaluation has been
accepted for the CAA in Paris end of April. We are optimistic to also
present the outcome of our Arches customization on that occasion. Will
the Arches-Team be present in Paris?

Finally, I'd like to point out that we admire Arches and those who
initiated it, for following a clear track on building up a community
around the product. This is a sometimes ungrateful task and you might
rather feel tempted want to put the resources in development. We'll try
to support your much better approach as widely as possible. Please take
this quite extensive post as part of the input.

Best

Kai
@kaischi

[1] http://www.i3mainz.fh-mainz.de/en (most of the site is only