Please find my comments inline..

>> *Task Reassignment at the end of substitution period*
>> When a user that was on vacation come back, we will not assign his past
>> tasks back to himself from his substitute. Since we cannot track the
>> progress of the tasks once it is assigned to a user, this is not reasonable.
>> We will stop substitution of future tasks at this point.
>>

> ​That's not typically what is required.  We should at least reassign tasks
> that are not yet InProgess. ​ But Ready and Reserved tasks should be
> reassigned to the user returned in any case.

Totally agreed to this if it is in a WS-Human task context.

We are considering User tasks in BPMN here. In Activiti there is no such
notion as task status. There is no such status like "In progress". Once a
task is assigned to someone, we have to assume that he is working on it.
If we automatically reassign tasks to original user, it will be a mess.
(eg: in call centers, user A assign his tasks to B and go out. B is on a
call for a task came from B. While he is on call A comes back, tasks get
reassigned back to him. He will make another call for the same task, since
the task is not completed, complete mix up!!)

I don't think we should automatically reassign without the assignee
consent. If we really need, we can have a API that a user can retrieve his
own tasks thet were substituted to someone else.

Vinod Kavinda
Software Engineer
*WSO2 Inc. - lean . enterprise . middleware <http://www.wso2.com>.*
Mobile : +94 (0) 712 415544