On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 9:29 PM Malintha Amarasinghe <malint...@wso2.com>
wrote:

> IMO having a separate file is a better option than having everything in
> the API definition.
>
> The API definition fully describes the "implementation details" of the
> API. This contains lots of information including the descriptions, DTOs
> etc. The details like throttling, CORS, backend endpoints are related to
> the "managed" API. Most of the time, what developers start with is the
> swagger definition of the backend API service. This does not contain any
> WSO2 specific information. What they most of the time need is to create the
> APIM API using the same swagger definition. If we ask them to use
> extensions, the first time it would be OK; they take the backend swagger
> and then add WSO2 extensions. But later the problem is merging the changes
> to the APIM swagger that are added to the original (backend) swagger
> definition. This is a painful operation over time.

I don't get the complexity you are explaining. If someone build the OAS in
a modular fashion how can this be a problem ? The devs can start with the
backend spec first as you said and then add gateway specific extensions
later on. If changes happens at a later stage, you can change the contract
and build the backend and the gateway with the same file. Gateway
extensions will be ignored when the backend is generated.

> Also, in some of the cases, the API definition becomes huge. For example;
> Open Banking related API definitions. The cause for that is, the
> descriptions, models DTOs, a large set of parameters etc. But from APIM
> point of view we are not interested in them much,

I don't agree with this, I think one of the issues of not having proper API
docs today, is that devs don't care much in importing all the DTO models,
descriptions and comments into the managed API docs. I think those are
important, if you are doing a simple pass through API.

> what we are actually interested is only a small part of it; for example,
> host, basepath, schemes, paths etc. Adding the managed API configs inside
> those huge definitions will cause readability issues. We can't easily find
> the information we need by just looking at the definition which consists of
> lots of unwanted (which we are not interested) details.

Again I think its about building the OAS in a modular fashion. OAS support
Jason references so your OAS should not be a single long file.

We can look at AWS gateway OAS usage as a ref impl -
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/apigateway/latest/developerguide/api-gateway-swagger-extensions.html