On Mar 24, 2014, at 10:26 AM, Milton L Mueller <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thanks, Louie, for your insight into the process. It is good to see you 
> levelling with us.

Of course, Milton.  There is no intention to mislead; I can certainly help 
facilitate the communication of updates and changes as they happen.

And I hope you agree with me in that the activities are happening really 
quickly -- so much so that the Chairs of the various ICANN Supporting 
Organizations and Advisory Councils insisted on several things:

That the Chairs be described today as "facilitators" rather than "leaders" in 
order to give focus to the community input rather than have the Chairs offer 
anything in a top-down manner this early in the process.  (It's with this 
thought that Fadi did not present any sort of draft or suggestion for a 
process.)

That it is highlighted that none of us had the chance to consult with nor 
receive any sort of substantial input from our respective communities.  Any 
opinion that we might offer is purely our own and not any sort of consensus 
positions.

The input of the Chairs on stage this morning would be limited to describing 
the PDPs in use in our respective communities so as to educate the community on 
the various mechanisms in place.

> I am sitting in the Padang room Monday morning in Singapore and in an hour 
> and a half the discussion will begin.

And thank you for your input today!  I look forward to further discussion with 
you to make sure that I don't misunderstand your points and the concerns behind 
them.  I would urge you to document your input fully by emailing it to the 
address posted on ICANN's webpage on this topic:

        http://www.icann.org/en/about/agreements/iana/transition

And I would also urge the rest of the ARIN community (and the members of other 
stakeholder groups) send in their input. The deadline for initial input is this 
Thursday!  The email address is:

        [email protected]

Louie

P.S. You saw that I ended up on stage with Adiel on a last minute change.  It 
was still planned that we would return to our seats to sit with our communities 
after our PDP descriptions.  When given the chance to leave the stage, we ended 
up staying, but with no intent to lead the discussion afterwards.  However, we 
were careful to not respond to input; it was important at this point to receive 
as much input as possible from the community in the short amount of time, and 
we did not want our opinions be misunderstood as coming from our communities.

> See you around!
> --MM
>  
> From: Louis Lee [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Louie Lee
> Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2014 11:10 AM
> To: Milton L Mueller
> Cc: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] ARIN and the Evolution of the IANA Functions
>  
> Dear Milton,
>  
> I do have just a few things to add.  First, a correction.
>  
> I was premature in stating that the numbering community will be represented 
> on stage by Adiel & myself.  The session flow had not been finalized.  
> Instead, Adiel and myself, along with other numbering community folks, will 
> mostly sit with the rest of the ICANN community to listen to all the 
> contributions that you and all others have on how such an IANA accountability 
> transition might take place.  Each of us will also contribute only in our own 
> capacities because substantial dialog in the communities have yet to take 
> place.
>  
> I believe that I was also premature in saying that Fadi will offer a 
> draft....  The development of the proposal must be led by the community 
> completely.  ICANN staff's role is to gather the input and facilitate dialog 
> by documenting the input and summarizing it when appropriate.  You will hear 
> tomorrow morning that the role of the staff and Board will be considerably 
> different from they way that input is handled for typical topics.
>  
> And finally, I apologize if you or anyone else believe that I don't think you 
> also represent the numbering community in a less than significant way.  While 
> you & I might be contributing to this effort so far on your own behalves, you 
> are also doing so as an elected member of the numbering community, which 
> carries with it a recognition of your involvement and contribution thus far.
>  
> See you tomorrow.  I look forward to hearing your input in this kickoff 
> session.
>  
> Yours,
> Louie
>  
> On Mar 23, 2014, at 1:57 PM, Louie Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> 
> Tomorrow morning, you will see a proposal by ICANN CEO Fadi Chehadé pitch a 
> first draft of a way that the community can go about developing the 
> accountability mechanisms that are required.  These mechanisms must be 
> adopted by the community in a bottom-up, multistakeholder manner for them to 
> be part of a viable proposal.
>  
> For folks in North America, this will be Sunday evening/night.  Please join 
> us:
>  
> http://singapore49.icann.org/en/schedule/mon-globalization-advisory
>  
> [snip]
> 
> 
> In addition, there are a number of RIR Board members and numbering community 
> members here at the ICANN meeting ready to pitch in.  I am here not only as a 
> member-elected representative of the ARIN and NANOG communities, but also as 
> the Chair of the Address Council of the ICANN Address Supporting 
> Organization.  You will find me next to an RIR CEO on stage tomorrow 
> representing the numbering community reminding everyone what the 2nd "N" in 
> ICANN stands for.
>  
> We recognize that both the ICANN community and the numbering communities each 
> have divergent views.  We will have an opportunity to demonstrate how our 
> multistakeholder concepts are implemented in the RIR system, and how the RIR 
> staffs and Boards are held accountable for their actions.  Perhaps the ICANN 
> community can take the best features and make it work to "globalize" the 
> accountability of IANA functions at ICANN.
>  
> Yours,
> Louie Lee
> Chair
> ICANN ASO Address Council

_______________________________________________
PPML
You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List ([email protected]).
Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
http://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
Please contact [email protected] if you experience any issues.

Reply via email to