On Fri, Dec 22, 2023 at 07:22:19AM +0000, Miod Vallat wrote:
> > Ah yes, but that is a good thing.  Because the Pi's have both
> > pluart(4) and com(4) serial ports.  So we don't really want pluart(4)
> > to steal the com(4) major if it isn't the serial console.
>
> According to dmesg, Pi (at least 3b and 4) only have pluart, and no com.

the com(4) is "brcm,bcm2835-aux-uart"

no longer the console after:

"date: 2019/11/17 06:03:39;  author: jsg;  state: Exp;  lines: +9 -2;
commitid: RNzxIO92MIKR4uhW;
Use disable-bt overlay with raspberry pi so the pl011 will be used as
console uart instead of the 'mini uart' a quirky 8250 alike which
lacks flow control and break detection.  By default the pl011 is used
for bluetooth.  The pins the console is on do not change.

When com(4) takes over the console with the mini uart on rpi3 I see
noise before output resumes and can't interact with the console after it
has booted.  With pluart(4) as console everything is fine."