> > According to dmesg, Pi (at least 3b and 4) only have pluart, and no com.
>
> the com(4) is "brcm,bcm2835-aux-uart"
>
> no longer the console after:
>
> "date: 2019/11/17 06:03:39;  author: jsg;  state: Exp;  lines: +9 -2;
> commitid: RNzxIO92MIKR4uhW;
> Use disable-bt overlay with raspberry pi so the pl011 will be used as
> console uart instead of the 'mini uart' a quirky 8250 alike which
> lacks flow control and break detection.  By default the pl011 is used
> for bluetooth.  The pins the console is on do not change.
>
> When com(4) takes over the console with the mini uart on rpi3 I see
> noise before output resumes and can't interact with the console after it
> has booted.  With pluart(4) as console everything is fine."

Yes, but what I mean is that com(4) no longer attaches anywhere, thus
the hijacking logic in pluart will not work.

Also, this logic is only run when pluart is the console, so when the
system is configured to use a glass console, as is the case for the OP,
there would be no way to use the UART without giving it its own device
node.