--- alypius skinner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > What is your definition of "property"?
> > Mine is: "Anything subject to human control."
>
> What is your definition of "stealing?"
> Mine is: depriving another person of possession of his property.
>
> Copyright violation does not deprive another person either of possession
> or use ("control") of his property.

But an author's property includes the income from the property, and
copyright violation steals that.

If I own bonds and I still possess the bonds but you took the interest on
the bonds, would that not be theft?

>  but this is profit from a temporary legal
> monopoly--perhaps an entirely legitimate monopoly from a utilitarian
> point of view, but monopoly privileges nonetheless.

A copyright does confer a monopoly, but I would not call that a privilege.
I have a monopoly on my personality and personhood, but that is my natural
right, not a privilege.  My writing is an extension of myself, and thus is
also not a privilege, but my natural right to my created property.

> If GM is not permitted to
> have a monopoly on auto manufacturing, thus depriving them of some
> opportunities to profit, is this stealing their property?

That is a different issue from a patent on something they invented.

> Monopolies, such as copyrights and patents, are granted
> solely for reasons of superior social utility--namely, to encourage
> creative work which might not otherwise be performed.

Some would argue that it is also a matter of moral right.
To the creator belongs the creation.

>  But what is the optimum tradeoff between incentives created by granting
> these temporary monopolies and removing or reducing the incentives so as
> to promote more quickly the spread of innovation and knowledge throughout
> society?

David Friedman discusses this in "Law's Order".
He explains why, quite reasonably, copyright duration is longer and easier
than patent duration.

>  As soon as we ask this question, it becomes possible to
> challenge existing copyright or similar laws, which were created purely
> for utilitarian reasons, on  utilitarian grounds as well as  libertarian.

Friedman does not challenge these, in that work, as I recall.

Fred Foldvary

=====
[EMAIL PROTECTED]