Maybe look at migration of the Northern tier US states and put in a climate
variable.  Except for those getting out of the concentration camps and
leaving the economically unsustainable post-communist communities, I wonder
how strong the climate variable is in Russian migration.  Casual
conversation with some Russians suggest it might not be that great.

Rodney Weiher