I was at a workshop this weekend where we discussed the possibility of
regulating human genetic enhancements, and it was suggested that positional
goods were a valid reason for regulation.  It might make sense, for
example, to tax the act of enhancing your kids to be taller than other
folks' kids.

There are three obvious analogies to genetically enhanced human height:
high heels, SUVs, and building height.  We don't regulate high heels at
all.  There is a push to regulate SUVs, but this seems to come almost
entirely from their low fuel efficiency.  There is very little public
concern about people wanting to be higher up on the road than others, and
even surprisingly little concern about wanting a relative advantage in
accidents.  Building height is regulated, but it doesn't seem to be
regulated much for positional reasons.

Relative income is taxed, but it is not clear this is done for positional
reasons, instead of avoiding social unrest/revolution or simple
opportunism.   Are there any clear examples of goods regulated or taxed for
positional reasons?

Robin Hanson  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://hanson.gmu.edu
Assistant Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323