From: "Wei Dai" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2004 2:00 PM
Subject: Re: Regulating Positional Goods

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 07:27:32AM -0500, Robin Hanson wrote:
I was at a workshop this weekend where we discussed the possibility of
regulating human genetic enhancements, and it was suggested that
positional
goods were a valid reason for regulation.  It might make sense, for
example, to tax the act of enhancing your kids to be taller than other
folks' kids.

That seems similar to wearing high heels, which according to this page: http://podiatry.curtin.edu.au/sump.html, was regulated in 1430 Venice but in the modern age only during national emergencies.

Some schools do have dress codes that forbid high heels. I think dress
codes are enacted at least partly for positional reasons.

Many positional goods are positional because they are used to attract
mates. Perhaps banning polygamy was done partly for positional reasons?

I can't think of anything else besides these rather weak examples. It's a
bit puzzling why positional goods are not more heavily regulated.