Have you considered that "the author is my friend" may have some
information in it? For example, if Robert Reisch endorsed a book,
you could reasonably conclude that Robert Reisch is the author's
friend and that his friends tend to be liberals with a certain
slant. It wouldn't signal the quality of the book, but it would
help signal the content of the book.

I'd also add that some blurbs have high content, if the blurb
is written by somebody with certain experitse,known tastes
or strict standards. Ie, blurbs by book reviewers.

Fabio