In an era of paper-covered hardbacks and paperback books, there is also the
competitive question: What else if not a blurb?
Art?
White/colored paper?
A note from the Author (eg. This paperback edition, and no other, has been
authorized ... JRR Tolkien)?
In Slovakia (like the Czech Republic), we have some books that include
company advertisements of sponsors, for instance Slovnaft, a huge oil
refinery--I like blurbs better, but getting money from the sponsor to put
out a (classical) liberal book is better than NOT publishing it at all.

For novels, having some summary of the book or an exciting scene in lieu of
more blurbs seems more the practice.  For non fiction today, being WITHOUT a
blurb would be exceptional, and may well be negatively disorienting to a
prospective buyer who expects one.

Signalling is evolving nicely at Amazon.com, with multiple reviewers.  Ciao
is even better, with reviewers who are rated -- and even get PAID to write
reviews (very small amount), based on their ratings.  (www.ciao.com to
choose Euro country)

Tom Grey

Technical note -- I failed to get the original Signalling posting (did get
many copies).  Don't know what else I've missed.

[Very unimportant-] All time most memorable "(not a) blurb" to "Bored of the
Rings":
Note: This paperback, and no other, was written with the sole intention of
making a few quick bucks.  Those who believe in courtesy to a certain other
living author won't touch this gobbler with a ten-foot battle lance.

(As I remember from 20 years ago -- so naturally I bought it. )