A problem with Fred's solution is that the most obnoxious spammers would
probably set their field to the "non-spam" when they sent out spam, in
order to increase the probability that it would be read. This would be
similar to spammers using subject-fields such as "Re: Hello" and "In answer
to your query" in unsolicited spam.

The most troublesome spammers are not exactly honest in their dealings. A
piece of advice I've often heard is actually -NEVER- to send e-mail asking
to be removed from the e-mail list of spammers, even if they have a
paragraph at the end with an e-mail address that will reputedly "remove you
from our lists." The reason is said to be that this will be proof that your
e-mail account is active and in use, thus increasing the market value of
your e-mail address to spammers and increasing the probability that you
will receive spam in future.

Ole