While we're at it, why don't we make it illegal for people to kill each
other.  If it were illegal, with stiff fines, we'd surely get rid of
murder.  Same for drug use.

I find it highly implausible that a regulatory structure like that
proposed below would make a whit of difference other than increasing the
proportion of spam coming from disreputable firms.