Are you sure this is what happened? I'd guess that the woman
expected a range of price, and was shocked when when she found
out the drink was $13.

> (1) Where else do people buy things without knowing the price first?
> (I've been thinking and have been unable to come up with any examples.)

People are drunk and/or trying to have a good time. I think it's an
example of people with very short time horizons caused by drunkeness
or distracted by other events (televised sports, pool, flirting,
music, etc) If you wanted a biological explanation, I'd guess bars
are places where people's adrenaline goes up, they get excited
and lose their patience.