It seems that there is little opportunity for price-ignorant purchases.  At
almost any store -- supermarket, hardware store, etc. -- the prices are out
there to begin with.  There seems to be significant incentive for the
stores to do that, because sooner or later the consumer will find out the
price, and, if they do not want the item at that time, can refuse to
purchase it (requiring the store to re-shelf the item, have workers who are
able to handle higher levels of customer interaction, etc).

As for restaurants, well, in some places a burger is $0.99.  In others,
$6.99.  From bar to bar, drink prices are roughly the same, I think.

The only other place I've seen this is at a coffee bar, or, more precisely,
when people order coffee.  Last night, for example:  I went out to dinner
w/some friends, and, after eating, the waitress asked if we'd like anything
else.  One friend got a coffee.  She didn't know how much it'd cost; there
was no menu in front of her, and she hadn't checked the price when we
ordered the food.  But she knew, roughly, how much the drink costed.

I'd assume the same is true at bars -- drinks aren't (usually) priced
differently from place to place.  My guess?

People don't go to bars for the beer (or coffee, etc.).  They go for the
atmosphere, to meet people, whatever.  Similarly, my friend didn't go to
the restaurant for coffee -- she went for the food.  Although I bet should
would have been pissed to find her coffee costing $13.

Dan Lewis
[EMAIL PROTECTED]